The Unified Message Center is a system that combines traditional messaging and real time, one-on-one instant messaging (chat) into a single threaded view. This stores all of your communications with another user in one place so it's easy to continue a conversation right where you left off, without having to search through multiple locations to find it!
How does it work?
There are four Tabs at the top main page of the Message Center, which represent four different views you can use to filter your messages:
- All: Contains your entire inbox, with all messages between yourself and other members, with one thread per user. Threads are sorted by most recent activity (including threads where you have only Sent messages to another user).
- New: Contains only threads with at least one unread message.
- Online: Contains only threads with a member that is currently online.
- Conversations: These are threads with at least one sent and one received message (i.e. ongoing conversations).
From the Message Center or after opening a conversation, you can take the following actions:
- 'Message' will open a new window for you to compose a message. (If a new window does not appear, please be sure to disable any pop-up blocker you may have enabled).
- 'Buy Pet' will take you to Pets and allow you to buy that user.
Under the 'Or' button
- 'Add to Friends' will send the user a friend request
- 'Give a Gift' allows you to send that member a hi5 Gift
- 'Delete' will permanently remove your entire conversation thread with that member (this cannot be undone)
- 'Report Abuse' allows you to report the member for violations of the Terms of Service
- 'Block' allows you to Block the member from contacting you
To start a new conversation:
- Click 'New Message' in the top right corner of the Messages page
- Enter your friend's display name
- Use text field to type you message
When you open a conversation, messages sent to you will appear on the left side of the window in a blue bubble. Messages sent by you will appear on the right side of the window in a grey bubble. You can also use the scroll bar on the right side to look through the messages in that thread.
To compose a message in the conversation:
- Use the text field at the bottom of the Message Center window to type your messages.
- Add Emoticons by clicking the yellow smiley face (optional)
- Use the 'Send' button or hit 'Enter' on your keyboard to send your message.
Use stickers to add color and personality to your messages! All users receive the Basic Stickers and Basic Emoji packs. You can also purchase the Fly or XOXO packs for just $0.99 each!